Saturday 8 July 2017

Saturday's Best Bets: More joy for Barney Roy

Embed from Getty Images
Tippin Jimmy runs us through a bumper Saturday card, and even gives us his top four selections you can't miss in your Lucky 15.

1:20 Sandown – Almoreb (5/1)
A handicapper we certainly haven’t seen the best of is Almoreb. He won nicely at Newbury on his penultimate start before enjoying another decent effort when fourth at this track. The drop of a furlong should benefit him, and I think he can run a big race.

1:50 Sandown – Muthmir (6/1)
It is a tough ask for William Haggas’ experienced sprinter to take this but I do think he could. He ran very well when fourth in the Kings Stand, and that form is massively strong. He seems to be in very good shape, and in good form too. I have no reason to believe the penalty will effect him too much.

2:25 Sandown – George William (7/1)
A handicapper I am desperate to see win is George William, and I hope there is no room for yet another hard luck story. He was short of room when second at Ascot’s Victoria Cup, only then to be given the worst possible draw in the Royal Hunt Cup. He will win one of these.

3:15 Haydock – Brorocco (15/2)
One handicapper who I am certainly following is Brorocco, and he is just now beginning to show his true colours. He ran a great race at Chester to finish second, before an unlucky fifth place finish at Epsom on Derby weekend. He didn’t get the clearest of passages, and I am expecting a better run with more luck.

3:35 Sandown (Eclipse) - Barney Roy (3/1)
This is a fascinating renewal of the Eclipse, and I cannot wait to watch it! I am a big Barney Roy fan, and I do think if he can last the trip he could win it. Eminent is maybe another I would be tempted by, but I do think Richard Hannon's colt is a great horse and could be good enough in this.

Magical Memory drops down in class after failing to beat a rival at Royal Ascot

3:50 Haydock – Magical Memory (6/4)
I am very surprised at the price you can get for Magical Memory in this race. He is a brilliant sprinter, and you can look at plenty of pieces of form to see that. It’s still a mystery why he ran so poorly at Royal Ascot, and this is a good bit of race planning by the team. I expect him to be far too good, and set up a date with those big summer sprints.

4:15 Leicester – Accento ew (10/1)
A nice prospect for Hugo Palmer, who will need to put a disappointing effort behind him to take this. He showed a fair bit of promise as a two-year-old, but could only beat one rival when last seen at Chelmsford. In this weak race he can run well, I do like Cheerfilly too.

4:40 Sandown – Frontispiece (6/5)
In this average handicap, I do think the exciting Frontispiece can add a third straight success. Sir Michael Stoute’s unbeaten two time winner, enjoyed a narrow success at this track last month but beat some good types that day. This field is far less strong, and he should win quite well.

5:30 Haydock – Baashiq (10/3)
After a very impressive victory at Redcar I have been looking forward to seeing this horse over a middle distance. He won narrowly, but workmanlike when beating a good Godolphin type. The horse he beat, Maghfoor, has improved the form when winning next time out; so I have no doubts about Baashiq’s inexperience. This a competitive contest, and he does make his first start back, but I like him a lot.

My Lucky 15 - Almoreb, Brorocco, Magical Memory and Frontispiece

No comments:

Post a Comment